Monday, March 06, 2006

Big Pond, Bigger Problems

While reading Larry Chase's Web Digest, I was pointed towards David Garfinkel's blog on copy writing tips. Copy writing is a skill that anyone with a bit of patience and persistence can and should learn, especially if you want people respond to your offerings.

Anyway, David wrote a really terrific post that for my money captures the essential question for us mediators, Ombuds and other ADR types:
why aren't we building bigger, growth-oriented businesses?

The answer: we're afraid of the unknown. We have a sense that in that bigger pond will be bigger problems to solve than the ones we have now. Right now, that resonates with me because I'm about to jump ponds and the anxiety and anticipation of what's in the bigger pond is absolutely keeping me up at night.

On a conscious level I do know that I'm ready and can handle whatever comes up, but somewhere deep down I'm afraid. That fear is slowing down my progress so I gotta deal with it now. How am I doing that? I'm using the same techniques I use to help visitors explore the unknown and what consequences might follow their actions. And, surprising, it works on me, too!

Read David's post. It's filled with more insights and resources. Then ask yourself: what prevents me from moving to a bigger pond?

And, if you need a bit of inspiration (and frequently I do), here's a quote that's been attributed to Nelson Mandela and Marianne Williamson:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow.

Dina
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home