Thursday, October 19, 2006

Getting People to Use Mediation


I came across a terrific new blog called Creating Passionate Users ( written by a collective of bloggers) which had a particularly relevant post for us mediators.

On today’s call mediators asked ‘how can I get people to realize the benefits of using mediation?’  Initially, I approached the question from a visibility standpoint, meaning how can we make users more aware of mediation as a problem-solving tool.  That lead to a discussion of how writing and speaking can be a long term strategy to become top of mind for consumers.  (The audio from the call will be available Monday for anyone who wants it).

After I read the post, I heard the real, underlying question: how can I motivate people to select mediation (and preferably with me).  Now that’s a whole new idea.  Visibility motivates consumers to interact with us yet it may not yield any action.

How to you motivate people to act.  Influence their emotions.  Think about it.  Here’s an example to help.  I love those Volvo commercials where the father is giving his daughter driving lessons.  My daughter, Kaitie, now has a learners permit so the whole thing strikes close to home.  

Their tag line:- who would you give a Volvo to? -is a clear example of advertising meant to influence my emotions.  Volvo pulls out all the stops on offering its safety information.  You can be persuaded by the facts.  What really sells their cars is the appeal to your emotions.  Who would you give a Volvo to really asks who do you love and want to protect.  For years I wanted a Volvo just for that reason alone.  (I changed my mind when I noticed that some Volvo drivers drive as if the car will save them from anything!)

Mediation works because parties can regain peace of mind and a sense of control over their own lives.  Mediation increases their capability to reduce stress and worry and find solutions that work for them.  

What does this mean to you?  Start figuring out what positive emotions flow from a mediation session and begin to weave that into your marketing efforts.  

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!

Dina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home