Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bodywork IS a Business Expense

Yep, I consider bodywork- you know, massage, acupuncture, reikki, etc- to be a business expense. I'm not kidding, and I'm not alone in this thought. (of course, check with your accountant first)

Companies know that keeping employees healthy is critical to enjoying increased productivity, limiting absenteeism and reducing burn out. In fact, every dollar spent on wellness yields a minimum of $1.81 in health cost savings.

Ok, so I hear you saying, "but I'm not a huge company." Right, but as a solo entrepreneur you're probably doing all the pieces that create business success. You get tired, frustrated, tense from exerting so much effort. To me, that means your pressures are even greater than employees who, albeit very busy, have the support of a larger organization. Taking care of you, otherwise called 'self-care', actually can help you be more effective in your business.

How did I come to this startling realization? It came to me while I was lying on my tummy on the table of a fabulous acupuncturist, Karen Kirchoff, who has helped me increase my energy, flexibility and relaxation over the past year.

As Karen applied the first few needles my 'monkey mind' shifted from its frantic pace to something close to quiet. It's akin to putting a car into neutral and letting it coast. Ah, nirvana! (By the way, I hate needles, but love acupuncture. I doesn't hurt at all.)

What does this mean to you? Try bodywork today. If you're new, start with a massage or pedicure. If you're more adventurous, try more Thai massage, in which practitioners move your fully clothed body in marvelous ways to release tension.

If you can't do it for yourself, I understand. Do it as a gift to your clients (current and potential) and your family. Once you empty your vessel, you'll be able to serve them even better.

Namaste

Try. Fail. Learn. Relax!

Dina

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home