Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Take This Idea, Please: Mom and Me


I have a daughter who turned 17 on Saturday. Kaitie is a thoughtful, smart, beautiful girl who drives me crazy. And, I do the same to her.

We don’t intend it, often can’t stop it and I’m sure we’re not the only mother and daughter who have these struggles. In fact, a Google search revealed over 7 million books on the topic so there’s a lot of hand-wringing going on.

This is a perfect niche- coaching and mediating mom/daughter disputes-for someone with the right training and temperament. Why? The relationship between a girl and her mom is special, mysterious and so fraught with difficult issues it's like a Gordian knot. Just judging from my own experience, I’d say a mediator could help:

• Separate perception from reality- eliminate distortion so each can see each other clearly
• Tame destructive language- “you always say no; you never listen to me”
• Create a joint decision-making model that honors both mom and daughter
• Support daughter and mom as they learn and practice new communication tools
• The list goes on…


I already know of someone researching this niche, but that doesn't mean there's not room for you in your hometown. Spend time finding out if this idea will fly in your community then do a small test to be sure. As long as there are moms and daughters, this niche will be a steady revenue stream and a source of gratification for the mediators who tend this critical relationship.

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!

Dina

(By the way, I highly recommend reading Deborah Tannen's book, You're Wearing That? as a way to understand how to promote healing and intimacy between the ladies of the house. I really learned alot from it. Kaitie, I love you- that's the message AND metamessage)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home