Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Provocative Mediation Question

Is it ok to make money? It's a question that every mediator has to grapple with eventually. I don't have the answers (I'm hoping you'll tell me in the comments below). I do have this observation.

We Just Don't Talk About Money

We don't talk about financial measures as a profession or status as individuals. I don't know why we don't. Maybe it's because doing so would be impolite. Maybe it's because doing so as individuals would make us feel vulnerable or judged. It seems to be a major barrier to our growth, at least to me. I'm really like to understand this more, especially since benchmarking is common with other professionals.

A quick internet search and I can easily find the average fees and annual incomes for other professionals like doctors, lawyers, and accountants. That's truly helpful information when you're running a business. Personally, I'd love to know the average cost to acquire a client for mediation firms. Or what's the average annual growth rate. Or even, just the average starting salary for a new mediator.

Could be I haven't been looking in the right places. Anyone out there got any ideas on where to find these numbers or why we seemingly don't care about them?

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!
Dina

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home