Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sales Calls for Mediators

Back in the day, when I first starting courting corporate work, getting a human resources person to take a meeting with me was tough. Just getting a live person on the phone was a miracle. Then, once I got the meeting I frequently encountered what I call stall tactics. You know, the person is interested but wants more time or isn't and doesn't know how to say no. Thankfully, I developed determination, finesse and some good strategies for managing these barriers.

If you struggle with what to say, check out this article in the New York Enterprise Report that offers a quick response to the four famous stall tactics:

  1. Send me something in the mail

  2. I don't have the budget for that (my personal favorite)

  3. I don't have time to meet

  4. Call me after ....the holidays, next month, next year


Here's what I might say to each of these roadblocks:

1. I can, but meeting allows me to really learn about your needs and create something specifically for you. Twenty minutes, 3 questions and we'll be done. Fair enough?

2. Ok, I understand that. If money was available and you knew this project could solve your problems, would you proceed with this? Great, then let's get creative on finding funding? Maybe a grant?

3. Sure, you're busy. Given what you've told me about the costs to your organization now, can this problem wait to be solved?

4. No problem. Why don't we just set up a tentative appointment now for a month from now for twenty minutes- with the proviso we'll reschedule if necessary.


Of course you can use or modify these at will. Let me know how you make out.

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!

Dina

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home