Monday, January 28, 2008

Blog, Blog, Blog, Mediation Blog World!

2008 is the year of the mediation blog, people!


The blogging world is exploding with new ideas, formats, creative uses and money! Mediators, we got to get in now because the popularity and power of blogging is only going to grow.

Why Blog?


Because blogging is one of the most compelling and egalitarian communication tools around. Each mediator has the ability to reach hundreds of thousands with his or her message and get an answer back.

And while it's true that a new blog is created almost every second, according to reports by Technorati and other blog monitors, that doesn't mean your blog will get lost. Create a micro-niche with a very tailored message and your blog will be a magnet for those who need your services, even in a very crowded field.


Why Mediators?


Why not? Our business is about communication, for heavens sake. We have to start talking to our markets. Each blog can be a mini learning center to share the process, experience and potential results with prospective clients.

Within the profession,we have to start talking to each other- mediator-to-mediator more with blogs. Long ago when Diane Levin and I launched the ADR Web Ring, we hoped more mediators would join us in the blogosphere. Many did join in and create thoughtful, useful blogs. ( No better examples than Mediator blah, blah and Settle it Now) There's room for more. I'd love to see our online community reach the volume and variety of blogs and discussion found in the blogging world.

Why Now?


It's the right time for a couple of reasons.

Blogs make money
. Blogging is beginning to get monetized in a serious way. Bloggers like John Chow claim to make upwards of $25K per month. Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical, too, but not so much I won't try to find out more.

Blogging is fun. The tech tools are getting easier to use. The income strategies are pretty creative. Of course, not every technique recommended by online gurus is going to be appropriate for a professional practice like mediation, however, many will be adaptable. Information products and Amazon stores come to mind.

Blogging is low-cost. The most popular platforms Blogger.com and Wordpress.com are still free and probably always will be. So, there's no real cost barrier to blogging. However, as blog design and functionality evolves, it'll be harder to be attractive and competitive with a free blog platform. ( I'm planning to shift to Wordpress for just this very reason.)

More to Come on Blog Design and Launch

Yep, this is definitely the year of the blog for mediation. Our Spring Learning Series from March to May will focus exclusively on the how-tos and why's of launch, design and promotion for your blog. It doesn't have to be overwhelming and you don't have to do it alone. Hopefully, I'll have the pleasure of sharing the stories and blogs of a few mediation/ADR bloggers in an interview or two.

I'm excited to see what you all come up with. So, please drop me a comment below to share your blogging plans, especially if you're just starting out.

My new baby boomer blog, ThisMarriageThing.com, will launch in February (from my mouth to G-d's ear). I'm still kicking around branding, but my tagline will be something like (feel free to kibitz):

This Marriage Thing
Conversations that redefine marriage, boomerhood and what comes next... OR

This Marriage Thing
Conversations for folks who want to be happy and married...


This is a side project that's kind of an experiment in combining the new viral and social media marketing techniques like Stumbleupon and podcasting. Should be fun and I hope you come along for the ride.

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!
Dina

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, Dina!!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Diane Levin said...

Hi, there, Dina!

Thank you for the link love to my World Directory of ADR Blogs project!

However, I think you must have meant to type "ADR Web Ring", and not the "World Directory of ADR Blogs" when you referred to the project you and I launched. Oops! :)

The portal for the
ADR Web Ring
is at http://adrwebring.blogspot.com. Anyone is welcome to submit their ADR site for inclusion. Back in 2005, you and I created the ADR Web Ring to serve as a community for all ADR-related sites. (When dinosaurs roamed the earth in cyber-time!)

In creating the World Directory of ADR Blogs (www.adrblogs.com) which tracks blogs only, not other sites, I was inspired by the work of law student Ian Best (now a practicing attorney), who catalogued American legal blogs as part of a for-credit project. I decided to make my own directory international in focus, and for over two years have been tracking blogs world-wide devoted to ADR. The Directory today lists about 125 blogs from 22 countries that cover conflict resolution, negotiation, and ADR.

It's an achievement I'm justifiably proud of, particularly since it's been a one-person project since its inception.

Thanks again for linking to it, Dina.

Best wishes,
Diane

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Dina -

I recall when you and Diane co-created the ADR Webring. I'm guessing you meant to type that instead of the World Directory of ADR Blogs, which I recall Diane founding on her own. Thought you'd want to be alerted that you'd
mis-typed!

Tammy Lenski, author
Making Mediation Your Day Job
MediatorTech.com

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Dina Lynch, ADRPracticeBuilder.com said...

Quick correction, folks. Diane Levin, good friend and fellow ADR blogger, reminded me this morning that I meant the ADR Web Ring, not the World Directory:


It was the ADR Web Ring that you and I set up together back in the day. The ADR Web Ring is at http://adrwebring.blogspot.com/, not www.adrblogs.com. (We created the ADR Web Ring to serve as a web ring for all ADR-related sites -- there weren't enough ADR blogs back then to make up a Web Ring, so you and I decided to include all web sites.)


Thanks for keeping me honest, Diane!

Dina

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have experimented with blogging in a different subject. It is a good way to educate folks and share thoughtful comments regarding a subject you care about.

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Dina!
I enjoyed the teleseminar you put on last week with Diana Mercer and Tara Fass. Thanks.
I started my own negotiation and mediation blog last month and I'm still trying to catch up with the rest of you.
Best,
Nancy

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dina,

I'am so agree with you !

I started my own ADR-Blog mediation on 18th. January about "NEWS OF the MEDIATION to support the exchanges on its legal and judicial aspects but so methodological aspects and ethics in order to promote an accreditation of the professionals of the mediation in France and Europe and a better knowledge of its practice in the world."

I'am talking about you here:
http://www.avocats.fr/space/dominique.lopez-eychenie/content/2008--l-annee-mondiale-du-blog-de-la-mediation_AA6A446F-ECCA-4F96-B238-216B6441D960

best regards

Dominique from FRANCE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home