Monday, February 26, 2007

The Power of Failure


Roy Baroff of www.roybaroffmediation.com. and I were chatting on a recent Member call when the topic turned to failure. I mean, what to call failure. The conversation was interesting so I wanted to share it with everyone, not just members.

What’s in a Word

Why use the word fail instead of something kinder like test or explore? Because there’s nothing wrong with failing- the word or the act.

I sign off every post with my philosophy for building both a strong business and an examined life: ‘Try, Fail, Learn, Grow’. I use the word fail intentionally. Failure has been disrespected far too long. Failure is our friend.

Failure is Useful and Inspirational

Go with me, here. Most of us would agree that the more insightful and lasting lessons grew out of failures. I find that especially true. The failure of others can be uplifting in a good way. Fred Smith and Walt Disney, who both faced bankruptcy, are prime examples of entrepreneurs who failed numerous times while refining their formula for success. I think of them both often.

Mediators and Failure

I ran across a terrific resource while researching a post about strengths that talks about failure. Check out this excerpt from the book, "Now, Discover Your Strengths," written by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton. If you have a fear of failure as a mediator this article could change your mind

Or point your browser here:

http://gmj.gallup.com/content/562/Are-You-Haunted-by-a-Fear-of-Failure.aspx

What does this mean to you? Try to more stuff and make more mistakes. Every mishap is one step closer to success.

Try. Fail. Learn. Grow!

Dina

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home